Friday, February 6, 2009

This boy...


Tonight I was getting Andrew ready for bed and I looked at him, with his knobby little knees and scrawny legs, standing there in his Spiderman underwear, and I thought, I want to remember this. He's growing up so fast. I want to remember this five year old boy how he is right now.

I want to remember this boy, who doesn't leave his bedroom in the morning without his baseball blanket and who asks me to put it under the comforter every night when I "snuggle him in."

This boy who takes Clifford everywhere and though he's a "five year old big boy" still sleeps with him every night because if he didn't, "Clifford would get scared without him."

This boy who comes to find me to tell me what the word for bowling is in Spanish because he learned it from Handy Manny.

This boy who memorizes all the words to songs on the radio and sings along with them on the way to school at the top of his lungs and makes me smile and who, if he hasn't memorized the whole thing, sings the one little part of a song that he knows over and over again while riding his bike.

This boy who is too embarassed to kiss me goodbye at school in front of his friends but who is the one who always wants to sit in the chair with me at home and who comes into the room for no reason but to tell me he loves me.

This boy who finishes his dinner and shows me that he made a "happy plate" and immediately asks for dessert.

This boy who loves Batman and who has worn his Batman Halloween costume so much that it is tattered and has holes in it.

This boy who is so quick witted and cracks me up all the time and who is so smart that sometimes I wonder where he comes up with this stuff.

This boy who is so sweet and soft hearted, who is so good to his brother (even if he does aggravate him sometimes), who is so kind and respectful and well-mannered that people compliment him all the time about what a good kid he is.

This boy who is such a joy to me and who I am so proud of. I can only imagine the type of man this wonderful boy will be someday.

I love this boy.

No comments:

Post a Comment